DocBook hint and Perl SGMLS module

Tushar Teredesai tush at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 13:26:29 PDT 2002

Didier Richard wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to get Gnome-2 up, so I need to get GTK2 first OK.
> It is recommended in the BLFS book to use the DocBook hint by Tush to
> get SGML docs OK. I installed first parts OK, but when it comes to
> "docbook-utils" I get :
>
> Making all in man
> make[2]: Entre dans le répertoire
> `/usr/src/docbook/utils/docbook-utils-0.6.11/doc/man'
> SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/etc/sgml/catalog \
> SGML_SEARCH_PATH=../../doc:.. \
>         nsgmls ../../doc/docbook-utils.sgml | \
>         sgmlspl ../../helpers/docbook2man-spec.pl
> /bin/sh: sgmlspl: command not found
>   [snip] [lots of error messages then]
> nsgmls:../../doc/refentry/jw.sgml:75:20:E: element "OPTION" undefined
> make[2]: *** [jw.1] Erreur 127
> make[2]: Quitte le répertoire
> `/usr/src/docbook/utils/docbook-utils-0.6.11/doc/man'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
>
> A quick search in Rufus / RPMfind says this program 'sgmlspl' belongs
> to the Perl SGML module. Indeed, the 'README' for docbook-utils says :
>
> The scripts assume that on the user's system the following is installed:
>   - James Clark's DSSSL engine, Jade, and associated utilities like
> nsgmls.
>   [snpi]
>   - The SGMLS Perl module
>
> However, that is not specified in the "docbook" hint.Even worse, the
> URL indicated for this is at Ottawa University and does not seem any
> more valid.

I don't have SGMLS Perl module installed (unless it is a part of Perl
5.8.0). Are you installing in the same order as the hint? Are you sure
you did not forget one of the install-catalog steps? I had a similar
error when installing docbook-utils. Turned out to be a missed command.
Also check the permissions on the files in /etc/sgml.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org