New Hint: Encap Pacakge Management

Michael Wu edf_iceburner at SPAMKILLSCATS_yahoo.com
Sat Sep 14 21:45:38 PDT 2002

I've always wanted to do a hint like this, then I decided to make my
package management system, and I forgot about this.

I personally epkg everything but xfree and java (I don't use tetex, so I
don't know). It makes things more consistant, because I really want to see
mostly symlinks when visiting /usr. Also, to keep things consistant, my
target directory is always root. I keep xfree and java seperate since they
have their own little place to live in. I think you should include
something on staticly linking epkg in chapter 5 for the people who like
encaping everything (including epkg).

BTW, XFree doesn't keep to itself when installing in /usr/X11R6. It'll
install a few symlinks for itself in the /usr/* areas, but that's about it
(I think).

I like your system cleanup script. I manually clean everything up before
symlinking everything to it's place, but this is a nice solution too.

I have a nice, large rant on lfs.chat IIRC that talks about a few other
issues, too.

-Michael Wu

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org