Status of Hints

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 22 22:11:20 PST 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:44:21 -0600
Tushar Teredesai <tushar at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> There are many hints that are in the previous format. Owing to the
> format, these hints are not picked up by the index maker and hence
> don't show up on the Hints Index.
>
> The current status of the HINTS can be viewed at
> <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/MAINTAINER/S
> TATUS>.
> If you are an author of a hint mentioned in the list, I would
> appreciate if you sent a message to <hints at linuxfromscratch.org>
> regarding your plans for the hint. For more info on the hints and
> the new format, visit <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/>.

Tushar,
One of those in the list is the Orphaned xmail hint.  The hint has
been taken up by a non-LFSer Jeff Laramie, who is maintaining it for
the xmail community as a website.  How would you feel to a hint that
just said 'Do what it says -here-'?  This is a very short version of
what I've done in the Essential Pre-Reading Hint.

It's a little dangerous, since the website might go off into Redhat
land or something, and isn't always as convenient as a text hint, but
it may be better than not having advice at all.

I also have some other material that I am not prepared to maintain in
txt form, but would be happy to contribute in html, either hosted or
pointed-at.  One of the things this allows is pictures and diagrams.

Thoughts?

Richard.

--
Richard A Downing FBCS