possible new hint idea

Ronald Hummelink ronald at hummelink.xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 11 06:28:02 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 15:21, Zack Winkles wrote:
> i've been pondering lately on an idea for a new hint on setting up the
> nptl threading library in place of linuxthreads. for those of you that
> don't know what it is, it's essentially an entirely new (backwards
> compatible) threading library with performance far exceeding that of
> linuxthreads. the only downside to using it is that you need to have
> __thread support in gcc (patch to 3.2.x), use of the HEAD branch of
> glibc, and upgrading (never looking back) to *AT LEAST* kernel 2.5.47 (i
> think that's when it changed... don't hold me to it though).
>
> as you can tell, the hint would be directed at the suicidal only, but if
> you happen to be of the type who would want it, let me know. if i get
> enough requests (2 or 3), then i would be more than happy to write it
> up. later guys.

I for one would be interested in trying that out at least :)

BTW, if you decide to write this hint (*hopes*) maybe look at redhat
beta. I think read in some changeloggish readme thing they may go ntpl
and i doubt even redhat is suicidal enough to ship with 2.5.x... If you
want i'll try to find where i read that again.

Ronald

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org