x hints?

Sam Halliday fommil at yahoo.ie
Fri Feb 21 13:28:58 PST 2003

hi there,

what is the consensus on removing the;
x11.txt
xfree86_41.txt
xfree86_42.txt
xfree86_4.2.0_dri.txt
nvidia_glx
and dri.txt hints?

Dagmar has the external freetype install of XFree86-4.2.1 and the
superhint covers all the detail these smaller and outdated hints
provided; with XFree86-4.3 round the corner i think it is time we 'cvs
delete $file ; rm -f $file ; cvs commit $file"'ed these old hints :-D.

I will not update the xfree86-superhint.txt to 4.3 for a while so that
people who don't wish to upgrade can still have instructions for
4.2.0/4.2.1 lying around. Can we then rename the superhint to
XFree86-4.2.1.txt (with complimentary '-freetype' hint) and Dagmar seems
to want to take care of the 4.3 release ;-). You can debate amoungst
yourselves what he calls that hint; i personally think it should keep
the '-freetype' postfix as that method is not fully recommended by the
XFree86 people, but you may disagree!

if there are any objections to removing these UNMAINTAINED hints, i will
understand.

cheers,
Sam
--