Updated xfree86+freetype.txt hint

Seth W.Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Tue Jan 7 11:27:12 PST 2003

Dagmar d'Surreal <no.spam at allowed.here> wrote:

> This is just a slightly lagged update to the hint I wrote for installing
> XFree86 some time ago.  It now includes information about bison issues,
> configuring X, and new patches to 4.2.1.  I'll be cranking out another
> one pertaining to 4.3.x when it becomes final, although to see more
> testing get done I may put together one this week that includes how to
> get 4.2.99.x.
>
> There is one line that is longer than 80 columns simply because the URL
> for the patch is so dratted long.  I was tempted to just tell people to
> temporarily install bison 1.35 instead.  ;)

and pick (or create) a work directory.  Untar at least the first two tarballs
(X420src-1.tgz and X420src-1.tgz, the third as well if you want the full set

Should be "X420src-1.tgz and X420src-2.tgz". Notice the "2".

XFree86's build system is rather crude compared to other packages, but it
does manage to autodetect everything correctly in the vast majority of cases
(the incorrect minority being mainly esoteric non-x86 hardware).

Hey! I resemble that remark :)

Oh, and +1 on 4.3.99.x instructions. I tried it this weekend because
4.2.0 was failing without errors (_when_ will they learn about devfs)
and was quite pleased.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org