cvs commit: hints kdm.txt
timothy at linuxfromscratch.org
timothy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 8 16:51:12 PST 2003
timothy 03/01/08 19:51:12
Modified: . kdm.txt
Updated to KDE-3.1. And smaller this time ;-)
Revision Changes Path
1.6 +31 -88 hints/kdm.txt
RCS file: /home/cvsroot/hints/kdm.txt,v
retrieving revision 1.5
retrieving revision 1.6
diff -u -r1.5 -r1.6
--- kdm.txt 26 Jul 2002 21:18:53 -0000 1.5
+++ kdm.txt 9 Jan 2003 00:51:12 -0000 1.6
@@ -1,6 +1,6 @@
TITLE: How to login into a WM using KDM
-LFS VERSION: any
-KDE VERSION: 2.2(.2) / 3
+LFS VERSION: 4 and up.
+KDE VERSION: 3.1
AUTHORS: Remy Bosch <remy.bosch at hccnet.nl>
@@ -11,50 +11,35 @@
If we want to tell kdm what to start, we choose our favorite WM and klik
on [Go!]. The problem is that you might get a standard WM from XFree86.
- Also the chosen background for kdm does not apear with some people
- (like me). After that, we discus XDMCP, so we can use remote-x
+ After that, we discus XDMCP, so we can use remote-x
+ I've put line numbers in the index so you can jump directly to the subject you
+ want to read ;-)
- We change the files used by kdm...
- kdmrc, Xsession and Xsetup_0
CHANGELOG --- Timestamps are in dd-mm-yy ---
- 09-06-02 (dd-mm-yy)
- Made a few changes to Xsession on request of three people (lost the names)
- Added this changlog to keep short track of recent changes. Three updates will
- be held in the hint. other ones will disappear.
+ 26-07-02 (dd-mm-yy)
Typo in Xsession. "$1" must be "$1". Sorry :-}
+ Removed unneeded sections. kdm of kde3.1 (rc5) works well.
+ Also the Xsession is fully under control of kdm :-)
+ Still need to check the remote acces part :-(
- KDMRC line 42
- XSESSION line 55
- XSETUP_0 line 95
- REMOTE ACCES line 117
- XACCESS line 145
- KDMRC AGAIN line 151
- IF ALL IS WELL line 172
- REMOTE CLIENT line 186
- REQUESTS line 196
- First we go to /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (if kde was installed in
- /opt/kde just look at the prefix during installation).
- There we change /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/ into /etc/X11/xdm/ . This way we
- control kdm in looking at the right files...
- You could leave it to see if it would work any way. It appears that the
- original filenames from kdmrc are mostly link's to the files I lead you in
- this hint...
+ XSESSION line 37
+ REMOTE ACCES line 61
+ XACCESS line 89
+ KDMRC line 96
+ IF ALL IS WELL line 110
+ REMOTE CLIENT line 124
+ REQUESTS line 134
- We can have the following in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
+ We can have the following in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession. It's all we need ;-)
# Begin /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
@@ -72,48 +57,10 @@
-# This is for the options. Feel free to add/change ;-)
-case $1 in
- case $1 in
- exec startkde
- exec wmaker
- exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
# End /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
- Because kdmdesktop is not automagicaly started by kdm, we help it an
- hand with /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
- This is what I got...
-# Begin /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
-# First the background :-P
-# Then the console for occasional errors...
-xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify \
--verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail &
-# End /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
This way you can run KDE on a 486!
@@ -139,23 +86,17 @@
To get it working, we do the following:
- Edit Xacces
- - Edit kmdrc again
+ - Edit kmdrc
If you want to log in from an other computer (Remote X), you can add a IP
- number or hostname that is allowed to use remote X in /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess.
+ number or hostname that is allowed to use remote X in
- To make shure that the background is displayd, we replace a line at the
- beginnning of kdmrc. (Thanks Craig!)
- [Desktop0] becomes [X-*-Desktop].
- I'm not too shure if it is the right line for safety reasons.
We still need to enable xdmcp... You can find it in the last section.
I displayed a part of mine here.
@@ -164,8 +105,8 @@
-Willing=su nobody -c /etc/X11/xdm/Xwilling
+Willing=su nobody -c /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xwilling
@@ -187,16 +128,18 @@
To get the wanted loginscreen just run :
- X -query 192.168.99.2 &> /dev/null &
+ X -query IP_number_of_server &> /dev/null &
This way X is started and files one request for a loginscreen.
And presto! There is your server-power on a small PC ;-)
-Just send in solutions to me, if you had a problem and solved it...
-This way we all can enjoy a easy login ;-)
+ Remote login with root is not possible.
+ Just send in solutions and sugestions to me, if you had a problem and solved
+ it... Questions are welcome too.
+ This way we all can enjoy a easy login ;-)
HAVE FUN !!!
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org
and put 'unsubscribe hints' in the subject header of the message
More information about the hints