CDRW Hint

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:52:07 PST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:06:40 +0000
Richard A Downing FBCS <geek109 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Tushar,
> Due to the fact that following the CDRW Hint, now in obsolete,
> a person can physically damage their system, see the thread in
> blfs.dev, I would like you to DELETE the hint from the server.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:11:26 -0800 (PST)
Tushar Teredesai <linux_from_scratch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The hint is already in OLD which contains other hints which can
> cause problems. IMO it is ok to leave the hint there since OLD
> has been used for archiving older hints for historical reasons.

There is a world of (legal) difference between 'causing problems'
and 'damaging hardware'.  As long as we could reasonably say we
couldn't know we are OK.  We can't say that now.  I know that if
you have one of the faulty LG cd-rom drives and follow my hint,
it will destroy the drive, and LG will not fix it under warranty.

I can't force you to delete it, but I would like you to.  I'm
copying this to the newsgroup to create a public record.

--
Cheers, Richard

Richard A Downing FBCS

Anyone  sending  unwanted  advertising   e-mail
to this address will be charged $25 for network
traffic and computing time.   By  extracting my
address from  this  message or its  header, you
agree to these terms.