Doom3 via Winex-cvs

Lupine thelupine at PunkAss.com
Fri Aug 6 11:30:32 PDT 2004

Not sure if I'm doing this correctly, I've never submitted a Hint
before.  I thought some of the LFS Gamers out there would appreciate
this though, so I'll give it a shot.

-Lup
-------------- next part --------------
:: Installing Doom3 via WineX on Beyond Linux From Scratch ::

AUTHOR: Lupine <thelupine AT PunkAss DOT com>

DATE: 2004-08-06

LICENSE: GNU Free Documentation License

SYNOPSIS: How to install Doom3 via Winex-cvs

I mainly put this together because I couldn't wait for ID to release the Doom3
Linux binaries, and I stumbled onto Rob Smith's (http://linux-militia.net/howtos/doom3/doom3.html)
HOWTO.  It was close, but I needed to change a few things around in order to get
this working on my BLFS box.  I thought I would document exactly what I had to do
differently, and share it.

PREREQUISITES:
Sufficient knowledge of (Beyond)LinuxFromScratch.
The Doom3 CDs.
Note: I would dd the 3 CDs to ISO, and mount all 3 of the ISO files as loopback devices.
During the "doom3_installer.sh"(from below), I was never prompted for the CDs, it
automagically found the mounted devices.

HINT:
	Download latest wine from http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/
	cd wine-xxxxx/
	tools/wineinstall

Install/Tweak transgaming:
	cvs -d:pserver:cvs at cvs.transgaming.org:/cvsroot login	(password is 'cvs')
	cvs -z3 -d:pserver:cvs at cvs.transgaming.org:/cvsroot co winex
	wget http://www.linux-militia.net/howtos/doom3/GlobalMemoryStatusExFixed.patch
	dos2unix GlobalMemoryStatusExFixed.patch
	cd winex
	patch -po < ../GlobalMemoryStatusExFixed.patch
	./configure --enable-pthreads --prefix=/usr/lib/winex-cvs/winex
	make
	make install
	touch /usr/lib/winex-cvs/.transgaming/tg_config_version
	cp ./documentation/sample/config ~/.transgaming
	wget http://www.linux-militia.net/howtos/doom3/winex-cvs
	mv winex-cvs /usr/bin
	chmod +x /usr/bin/winex-cvs
	wget http://www.linux-militia.net/howtos/doom3/pthreads_stack_test
	mv pthreads_stack_test /usr/lib/winex-cvs/winex/bin
	chmod 755 /usr/lib/winex-cvs/winex/bin/pthreads_stack_test
	cp -a ~/.wine ~/.transgaming
	cd ~/.transgaming
	mv drive_c c_drive
	mkdir c_drive/windows/system32

Install/Tweak Doom3:
	wget http://www.linux-militia.net/howtos/doom3/doom3_installer.sh
	chmod +x doom3_installer.sh
	./doom3_installer.sh
	cd ~/doom3/
	wget http://www.linux-militia.net/howtos/doom3/Doom3.exe.gz
	mv Doom3.exe Doom3.exe.old
	gzip -d Doom3.exe.gz
	winex-cvs Doom3.exe

Happy fragging!

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:
Most of the commands are taken straight from Rob Smith's HOTWO.  Without his
HOWTO I would have never gotten this to work...he deserves a big ol' Thank You!!!
http://linux-militia.net/howtos/doom3/doom3.html
Doom III and Winex CVS
Rob Smith d3howto at kormoc.com
V0.02 2004-08-04

You are free:
# to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
# to make derivative works
# to make commercial use of the work
Under the following conditions:
# Attribution. You must give the original author credit.
# Share Alike.
# If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work
only under a license identical to this one. For any reuse or distribution, you must make
clear to others the license terms of this work. Any of these conditions can be waived if
you get permission from the author.
http://linux-militia.net/howtos/doom3/doom3.html