at.txt

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 29 08:19:17 PST 2004

Sune Mølgaard wrote:
> Jim Gifford wrote:
>
>> Why would this be needed since fcron already has the same
>> functionality as atd?
>>

> Hi Jim.
>
> Two answers:
>
> 1) I wasn't aware of fcrons atd functionality. I just perceived it as
> another cron.
>
> 2) Other programs may rely on atd. I, for one, use shalvideo to schedule
> recordings, and it needs atd. I figured others might need it in the
> future, hence the hint.
>
> If anyone can suggest a way for true dropin replacement of atd for
> fcron, it would be interesting.

To the best of my knowledge, one doesn't have to explain why his hint
would be needed. You submit a hint, it should get placed in the
repository. At least IMHO.

However, to answer Jim's question, I could see a need for atd as I use
Jim's hint and build Vixie Cron on my systems. Could the hint be revised
to use Vixie Cron as well? I've never had the need to schedule a
one-time event, hence I've never researched an atd for my systems. I'm
lazy and if I needed something scheduled once, I'd add it to cron, and
remove it later.

--
Randy