Evolution without gnome hint

william verheij double.u at hccnet.nl
Tue Feb 17 08:49:26 PST 2004

AUTHOR: William Verheij <double(dot)u(at)hccnet(dot)nl>

DATE: 2004-02-17

LICENSE: GNU Free Documentation License Version 1.2

SYNOPSIS: Evolution 1.4.4 without Gnome GUI

If you like using evolution but and don't want to install the
whole Gnome Suite  cause you're not gonna use it anyway,
here's a way to get evolution to work running you're own choice of
Desktop/Window Manager

PREREQUISITES: LFS 5.0 with openssl, lynx and gpm installed

HINT:
so we've got a shiny running LFS system from where we gonna build the
needed libraries en programs which evolution need.
All are stated in the BLFS book so i just tell which one's you need
and the order i used to get things up and running

Build in the following order;

popt-1.7
libxml2-2.5.11
libxslt-1.0.33
pkgconfig-0.15.0
glib-2.2.3
expat-1.95.6
libjpeg-6b
libpng-1.2.5
libtiff-3.6.0
which-2.14 (optional we get back about it later)
unzip-5.50
XML-Parser-2.31
DocBook XML DTD-4.2
FreeType-2.1.5
Fontconfig-2.2.1
XFree86-4.3.0.1
pango-1.2.5
atk-1.2.4
gtk+-2.2.4

>From Here we start with the needed Gnome libraries and i suggest to run
`ldconfig`  after every `make install` since they are highly
dependent on each other,
and that you make the proper environment changes as stated in the book
before continuing.

linc-1.0.3
libIDL-0.8.2
ORBit2-2.6.2
intltool-0.26
bonobo-activation-2.2.2
libbonobo-2.2.3
GConf-2.2.1
gnome-mime-data-2.2.1
gnome-vfs-2.2.5
libgnome-2.2.3
libart_lgpl-2.3.11
libglade-2.0.1
libgnomecanvas-2.2.1
libbonoboui-2.2.2
libgnomeui-2.2.2
scrollkeeper-0.3.14
gail-1.2.2
libgnomeprint-2.2.1.3
libgnomeprintui-2.2.1.3
libsoup-1.99.23
gal-1.99.9
gtkhtml-3.0.8
db-3.1.17

and finally Evolution-1.4.4

Here's where the "which" part comes back
if you did install which-2.14
just continue as stated in the book

if for ever reason you don't like witches on your system :)
and thus didn't install them,
after a long compile evolution will give
you a make error in killev.c
after this you can still do a "make install", and it will come up
nicely but since i didn't feel comfortable with it.
here's a way to work around things

first just do the ./configure part
./configure --prefix=$GNOME_PREFIX --with-db3=/opt/db-3.1.17 \
--enable-openssl

then when this if finished open with your favorite text editor config.h
and look for these lines:
/* Command to kill processes by name */
/* #undef KILL_PROCESS_CMD */

and change (or put under) the last line
#define KILL_PROCESS_CMD "/bin/killall"

save and just do:
make && make install

and evolution is installed :)

OPTIONAL:
if you like evolution to correct you're spelling
install the Aspell package with the dictionary of you're choice
and gnome-spell-1.0.5
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gnome-spell/1.0/gnome-spell-1.0.5.tar.bz2

./configure --prefix=$GNOME_PREFIX &&
make &&
make install

NOTE:
if evolution after configuration won't send you're emails,
 open the /etc/hosts file and get rid of everything between quotes
this should solve the case.

Hope this was helpful
for comments,ideas or just a mail hug  use the above mail address