lfsbackup hint

P.R. gropie-rubble at gmx.de
Tue Jan 27 17:15:31 PST 2004

Hi

I mailed Nathan (nrh2 at aber.ac.uk ), the current owner of the backup
hint a couple of days before, he doesnt answer, maybe my mail went
straight to the spam-filter ;-)
He overtook in September so I hope he reads this mailing list.

I have a question/suggestion:

--------------------
Is it possible to "tar & bzip2" the whole lfs-root instead of just "cp
-Rav" it?

The disadvantage:
The pretty elegant restoring process: "simply follow all steps again ->
make a backup of the backup" won't work.

Advantage: saves a lot of space and a tar.bz2-archive is sometimes better
to handle than thousands of single files.

In my case the lfs-backup would be located on a Win98 partition.
And there would most likely be trouble with the rwx-properties of all
files if I just cp -Rav the lfs to that Fat32-Partition.
A tar/bzip keeps the file permissions.

I would suggest to open an additional option of the hint deriving just
before the cp-command:

The taring command would be something like

# cd into the lfs-dir
cd $LFS

# tar the whole thing
tar -cvf lfsbackup.tar *

# or if you are low on diskspace on that partition tar it elsewhere
tar -cvf /mnt/largepartition/lfsbackup.tar *

# or if you don't want to include tools directory
tar -cvf lfsbackup.tar --exclude=tools *
Here I need help: I haven't found a way to make tar skip only the
sources or tools directory located in $LFS
For example if a directory $LFS/home/peter/tools
exists, it is also skipped.

an --exclude=/mnt/lfs/tools option doesnt work.

Maybe it isn't really important, because a backup is a backup, but I'd
like to exclude the sources without deleting them.
So far I renamed them to some strange unique name that tar doesn't run
into it again in some usr/share -directory

# compress
bip2 lfsbackup.tar

The restoring rom my pretty much newbie point of view the restoring would
go like

1. have a host system, maybe just a boot disk (and then the big tar.bz2
on cdrom or the fat32-partition)

2. mount the partition where the messed up lfs is located and the
cdrom/partition where the big archive is)

3. erase the messed partition with

rm -rf
(would a "rm -rf *" erase everything on that partition - I think so? I
don't want to fdisk/makefs again like the dos format c:   ;)

4. bunzip und untar the big archive into that now empty partition

5. chroot into it
6. run grub or lilo

Any errors I made? Better actions to take? (maybe the chroot isn't
necessary?)