New version of my hint: restoresettingsatlogin.txt

Stef Bon stef at bononline.tk
Wed Aug 10 04:40:10 PDT 2005

Hello,

a new version of this hint is available.

Izak Burger, who made pam_script, found out why the option run_as=root
didn't work.
It does work with shadow-4.0.3 or with (at this moment newest version)
shadow-4.0.11.1.
With my versions (4.0.7 and 4.0.4.1) it didn't. In the source of login.c
root privileges get dropped before it calls pam_close_session. So, there is
no way pam_script is executed as root.

Futher some comment about the use of the option runas=root, which can be
very insecure.

Date Last Updated: 2005-08-10

Stef Bon