bmake hint - second version

Petrus petrus at bmail.com.au
Sat Mar 19 07:03:43 PST 2005

AUTHOR: Petrus - petrus at bmail.com.au
DATE: 2005-03-09
LICENSE: GNU Free Documentation License.
SYNOPSIS: bmake - NetBSD's make.
NetBSD's package
management system. Good for sysadmins, developers, or anyone who wants a
better and
actively developed Make.
CHANGELOG: 2005-03-09
* First version.
2005-03-19
* Second version.
* Fixed newbish dir shuffling
* Deleted redundant sed command
* jbit figured out a way to cause the bootstrap test to pass

HINT:

The first thing to do is download
http://www.crufty.net/ftp/pub/sjg/bmake.tar.gz which is the source
tarball for bmake itself, and
http://www.crufty.net/ftp/pub/sjg/mk.tar.gz which contains the makefiles
that bmake needs. (They contain various system rules and so forth.)

You'll need to become root in order to do this, since files need to be
installed to /usr/share and a few other places.
When you've downloaded bmake, unpack it and cd into the bmake directory.
Bmake needs a seperate OS-specific build directory, so we'll make one of
those as well.

tar zxvf bmake.tar.gz
mkdir -p bmake/Linux
cp mk.tar.gz bmake/Linux
cd bmake/Linux
tar zxvf mk.tar.gz
../bmake/configure --prefix=/usr

Now let's compile it:-

PATH=$PWD:$PATH make -f makefile.boot bootstrap MKSRC=mk
make -f makefile.boot install

We need the first line because bmake does a test at the end of
bootstrapping, for which it
needs to be in the PATH in order to pass.
One last thing we need to do is make sure the Linux.sys.mk file is in
place as bmake's
sys.mk, as bmake needs this in order to function.

cd mk
cp Linux.sys.mk /usr/share/sys.mk

You can test this by reinstalling bmake using bmake itself, in order to
be sure that sys.mk is in place and everything works.

bmake install

It should now be working.