Contribute: An attempt of hint

Hugo Adrián Segovia Cardozo hugoa_c2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 11:17:30 PDT 2007

Hi!

  I am Hugo S. Cardozo, and I use (B)LFS 6.2 for a while. I try some programs
  with my system, and I want to contribute my experience with one of them.
  Is about the installation of Logrotate 3.6.8

  I am from Paraguay, so the English is not my native language. If you find
any typos or grammar mistakes in this hint, please let me know. And I am not
  a guru neither. I made this hint because I want to give a little contribution to
  the LFS community (¡Thanks for the many hours of frustration
and fun I spent making my own system! :-). So, if you find any errors in the
commands or in the concepts, let me know too.

  Last, I don´t know if I am suppose to send my hint to this mailing list, but I don´t
  know other place to send it. If this isn´t the place, sorry, and let me know it.

  Thanks!

  Hugo S. Cardozo

  AUTHOR:         Hugo S. Cardozo <hugoa_c2004 at yahoo.com>
  DATE:   2007-03-24
  LICENSE:  GNU Free Documentation License Version 1.2
  SYNOPSIS:  Logrotate: Keep your log files tidy
  logrotate for your (B)LFS system
  ATTACHMENTS:  * popt-1.6.3
    ftp://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-10.1/source/l/popt/popt-1.7.tar.gz
    * logrotate-3.6.8
  ftp://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/slackware/slackware-10.1/source/a/logrotate/logrotate-3.6.8.tar.gz
  PREREQUISITES:  LFS installed and running.
  Optionally, (F)cron.
  HINT:
  Introduction
============
  Logrotate is an utility to take care of the log files of your system. It keeps
track of the size of the log files, and "rotates" them when needed. That minds,
the utility check the size of the files, an if one of them is larger than a
certain size, the program performs some actions. That actione can be: backup
and compress the file, remove it or mail it to an user, create a new empty
log file, and others.
  Installation
============
  First, you need to compile and install popt-1.6.3. This is a library to
manage command-line arguments.
  Unpack the tarball and cd into the popt sources:
 tar xzf popt-1.6.3.tar.gz
 cd popt-1.6.3
Compile and install:
 ./configure --prefix=/usr && \
 make && make install
  Now you can compile logrotate. Unpack the tarball and cd:
 tar xzf logrotate-3.6.8.tar.gz
 cd logrotate-3.6.8
Compile:
 make
Optionally, run the test suite:
 make test
Install:
 make install
  Configuration
=============
  The command "logrotate" needs a config file, which must be passed as an
argument to the command when executed. We will put that file in "/etc",
and name it "logrotate.conf".
  Create the file with this command:
 cat >> /etc/logrotate.conf << EOF
 # Begin of /etc/logrotate.conf
   # Rotate log files weekly
 weekly

 # No send mail to anybody
 nomail
   # If the log file is empty, it does not will be rotated
 notifempty
   # Number of backups that will be kept
 # This will keep the 2 newest backups only
 rotate 2

 # Create new empty files after rotate old ones
 # This will create empty log files, with owner
 # set to root, group set to sys, and permissions 644
 create 0664 root sys
   # Compress the backups with gzip
 compress
   # RPM packages drop log rotation info in this directory,
 # so we include any file in it.
 include /etc/logrotate.d
   # End of /etc/logrotate.conf
 EOF
  Also, you can use the file "logrotate-default", which is in the logrotate
sources, in the "examples" directory. I use some of the lines of that file
in my example above.
  When installing sysklogd, the LFS book defines some predefined log files in
"/etc/syslog.conf". We can rotate those files by adding their definitions to
logrotate.conf. So, to add them, run this command:
 for logfile in $(find /var/log/* -type f); do
  echo "$logfile {" >> /etc/logrotate.conf
  echo "# If the log file is larger" \
    "than 100kb, rotate it" >> /etc/logrotate.conf"
  echo "  size=100k" >> /etc/logrotate.conf
  echo "}" >> /etc/logrotate.conf
  echo "" >> /etc/logrotate.conf
 done
  For details on configuring this file, see logrotate(8).

Logrotate as a Cron job
=======================
  You can run logrotate just issuing "/usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf"
but in this case, you should run that command by yourself, every day (or
week, or month...), if you want the program to work properly. This can be
very annoying :-).
  Instead, you can run it as a cron job. For the further configuration,
I will assume that you have installed Fcron from the BLFS book.
  Create a /etc/fcrontab file by issuing this command:
 cat >> /etc/fcrontab << EOF
 0 12 * * * 0  /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
 EOF
This will make fcron execute logrotate once a week, in Sunday, at noon.
For details on configuring fcrontab, refer to fcrontab(1).
  You will need the "check_system_crontabs" from the fcron sources. If you
haven't installed it, do it by issuing:
 tar xzf fcron-3.0.1.tar.gz
 cp -v fcron-3.0.1/scripts/check_system_crontabs /usr/sbin
  Then run the script:
 check_system_crontabs -v
For help, type this:
 check_system_crontabs -h