Fw: [UPDATE]lfs_next_helpers, Why did you break the download URL?

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Sat Mar 31 12:04:49 PDT 2007

Hi,

I've noticed that you don't have the most up-to-date
lfs_next_helpers.tar.bz2. I attached the current version to this message.

BTW, is there a special reason why you decided to break all hints with
attachments by restructuring the web server's directory hierarchy?
The lfs_next_... hint says that the lfs_next_helpers.tar.bz2 archive is
found at

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/attachments/lfs_next_to_existing_systems/lfs_next_helpers.tar.bz2

but apparently someone decided to shuffle stuff around a bit without
updating hints/telling hint authors about it. In fact, not even the links
on the web site are updated. E.g. the Hint Attachments link on

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/download.html

is broken.

Please make a symlink on the server or use a rewriting rule (one of
Apache's very useful features) to make URLs from hints work again.
In case you think that the web site, all hints and everybody's and their
dogs' bookmarks should be updated instead, please read

http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

on why this is not how the web is supposed to work.

MSB

--
Entropy isn't what it used to be.