[Keystone Slip #26] Chapter 6-Glibc: find out why mtrace isn't build

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Thu Mar 15 11:10:13 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 10:09:16AM -0500, Simon Perreault wrote:
> > Now you wonder, and so do I, why not just sed config.make to set perl =
> > /usr/bin/perl. I can understand that Glibc may actually try to use perl to
> > build something when it thinks it's present. Right now glibc still knows
> > perl isn't present so it won't use it, that one Makefile just doesn't know
> > (it doesn't execute any perl, just sed's a file and cp's it).

> Because programs other than mtrace depend on perl, and building them without
> perl would cause problems? mtrace is just a script, and we change a
> sub-Makefile that only affects this program.

Yes, "gen-libm-test.pl" is the first script that fails if you sed
"config.make/status". Since we get non-zero value returned to the shell,
the whole chain of commands breaks.

There are few more Perl scripts that would be executed, like
"scripts/test-installation.pl" for example.

Of course, we could put /usr/bin/perl into "config.status" and then
remove, one by one, all Perl scripts that would be executed (by sed-ing
appropriate Makefiles).

But that would be ... well, you can imagine -- a mess.

So fixing only the ones that we really need is probably the best we can do.

Neven