Text width

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 15 11:16:34 PST 2001

On March 15, 2001 10:40 am, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Thursday 15 March 2001 10:40, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> > +-Simon Perreault-(nomis80 at videotron.ca)-[15.03.01 16:35]:
> > > It seems like there is a text width limit for the xml file itself, and
> > > for the <userinput> commands. What are they?
> >
> > I'd say not more than 80 chars per line - as usual ;)
>
> That's what I would've thought, but there is already a less-than-that
> textwidth in existing xml files.

I break up long commands like configure commands and even them out so it
looks better (if line one is 80 chars long and the second line 5 chars it
just looks bad. So I make them both about 40).

so instead of:
./configure --prefix=something --disable-nls --bindir=something
--this=something

I'd do

./configure --prefix=something --disable-nls
   --bindir=something --this=something

keep in mind that the commands are indented so you need to take that into
account as well (stuff between <userinput></userinput> has only room for
about 70 chars or something before the text runs off to the next line in
console based browsers like lynx).