cvs-problems?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 15 11:19:20 PST 2001

On March 15, 2001 11:15 am, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Thursday 15 March 2001 11:13, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> > cvs server: Up-to-date check failed for `chapter1/how.xml'
> > cvs server: Up-to-date check failed for `chapter1/introduction.xml'
> > cvs server: Up-to-date check failed for `chapter1/versions.xml'
> > cvs [server aborted]: correct above errors first!
> > cvs commit: saving log message in /tmp/cvsiMVI2N
>
> ARGH!!! Do "cvs update" before doing any commit!!! I hope my work didn't
> get erased!

Don't worry Simon cvs isn't that bad.

The error means that balu's how.xml, introduction.xml and versions.xml are
older than what's currently in CVS so Balu's changes to those files are not
commited.

This is one problem with cvs yes. What if two people make changes to the same
files. When the first person checks his changes in, the second person will
have to update first to see if his changes are still compatible with what the
other person changed. Not much that can be done about it. So balu will
update, check what you did and make his changes again. CVS can merge though
but I woudlnt' recommend it, in case Simon did something that Balu may not
want to commit his changes anymore....