cvs-problems?

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Fri Mar 16 08:16:53 PST 2001

Yo,

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:35:11AM -0500, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> how to overcome this? It's hard to just 'claim' files with a TODO, it's not
> always clear which files are going to be edited. You could create follow-ups
> when you start editing more files but that means you would have to check
> every active keystone slip, or every email sent here to see if a file you
> want to edit can be touched or not. That doesn't work well. CVS can merge
> files which would fix our problems but i don't know to what extend. Jesse
> will have to explain that one

cvs edit.

(i'm not even going bother trying to explain, the docs do a great job,
imho ;)

On the subject of CVS and merging.

Thomas do a 'cvs update' and it will *merge* the changes that have been
done in CVS *along* with your changes, it will *not* delete them,
allthough you may have to double check/make sure the files in question
that were merged look like/are right.

CVS is used on large scale projects where at any given time more then
one person is hacking and commiting the same file, so merging changes in
CVS is actually very good.

My suggestion? do a cvs update and try todo a cvs commit, if there were
conflicts, fix them, easy enough ;)

(a conflict is created when the original code you started hacking on,
the code you changed the new code that's in CVS was edited in the same
section/lines of the file, doens't *usually* happen)

Anyways, i'm tired and that problably didn't make alot of sense ;)

-