he, she, whatever?

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Sun Mar 18 11:26:56 PST 2001

On Sunday 18 March 2001 13:49, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> Is "a user" usually male, female or "both" in english books?

I think a user would be a "he", but I'm biased since a user is always male in
French (utilisateur), and we have a female counterpart (utilisatrice).
Couldn't you make it an "it"?

> Should we make everything passive style (not "Install ... by running"
> but "... is installed by running")

Diversity is good, I think. If someone chose to use passive style for
something and active style for something else, then it means that their
thought process found that particular style more natural. I think style
should be left as it was written, unless it makes things more understandable.

--
Simon Perreault -- Public key: http://nomis80.dyn.dhs.org/nomis80.gpg
I know Linux. I need a job. Do I fit your needs? Email me!