what to do when a package updates

Marc Heerdink marc_heerdink at softhome.net
Tue Mar 20 11:55:08 PST 2001

Gerard Beekmans wrote on Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:41:24 -0500:
> Short answer: don't update in the book
>
> long answer: first somebody has to test to make sure the new package works as
> expected (in case of glibc, gcc and kernel that means build an entire LFS
> system to make sure the header files and libraries are ok). Then let
> lfs-discuss know when that package works or not.
>
> If so then I will grab the new package and upload it to the LFS FTP archive
> and update the book accordingly with updated URL's.

I have tested the following packages in an LFS build yesterday:

file 3.34
lilo 21.7
modutils 2.4.3
procinfo 18
sysklogd 1.4.1
shadow 20001016
util-linux 2.11a
ma-pages 1.34
net-tools 1.59
gcc 2.95.3
glibc 2.2.2

Everything works fine (I have XFree 4.0.3/enlightenment/Gnome 1.4-rc1) and even
glibc 2.2.2 works good enough now. The shadow password suite was the only
bookpackage that gave me trouble, it's a well-know problem already. I could
write a patch for it.

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc_heerdink at softhome.net