what to do when a package updates

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 20 12:17:20 PST 2001

> file 3.34
> lilo 21.7
> modutils 2.4.3
> procinfo 18
> sysklogd 1.4.1
> shadow 20001016
> util-linux 2.11a
> ma-pages 1.34
> net-tools 1.59
> gcc 2.95.3
> glibc 2.2.2
>
> Everything works fine (I have XFree 4.0.3/enlightenment/Gnome 1.4-rc1) and
> even glibc 2.2.2 works good enough now. The shadow password suite was the
> only bookpackage that gave me trouble, it's a well-know problem already. I
> could write a patch for it.

Sure write the patch if you have time. I have a semi-patch already (i know
which lines to edit, what to edit and even in which file to do it) so it
won't be a big deal for me to do myself when I get to it. Whichever suits you.

I'm not adding gcc 2.95.3 and glibc 2.2.2 to the book quite yet. I think it
best to conduct more tests. Didn't you build X403 with glibc-2.2.2/gcc-2.95.3
successfully as well? or were you going to try?

I usually build XFree86, QT and KDE when testing a new compiler (glibc is a
good test as well which is arleady conducted during LFS' installation). If
those 4 packages (fourth being glibc) compile and the produced binaries work
ok, I'd consider the new compiler and/or glibc version good enough.

So if somebody can take the time to install a bunch of big packages (not
necessarily qt and kde, those two just make heavy use of the compiler so I
think it to be a good test) and see if they all hold up.