About the socalled "you" changes

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 22 17:18:47 PST 2001

Hi all,

Thanks Balu et all. who've been doing to socalled 'you' changes. I've read
some changes (currently re-reading the Preface of the book again) and I start
having my doubts. To be perfectly honest, I don't like it.

This is not critizism on you guys (heck afteral it was I who requested the
changes to be made). I just wanted to try it out and see what it looks like.
And now I see I don't like it. It's very impersonal and distant.

References to 'a user' , 'the user'  and 'he' are fine in some places but to
use it every single time doesn't sound good. I want to sound closer to the
people using it by trying to talk directly to them (which is accomplished by
'you').

Here's an excerpt:

This book is intended for Linux users who want to setup their own
custom-built Linux system. Reasons for wanting to build such a system are
diverse. Perhaps a user wants to get into more detail as to what happens
behind the scenes. Perhaps he is fed up with distributions which are often
bloated or perhaps he doesn't want to rely on pre-compiled binaries due to
security concerns. There are many reasons why a user may wants a custom-built
system, but if it is one of them, this book is meant for him.

The fruits of building an own system are plentiful, but the labour may be
hard. It is a long way ahead but in the end a user will be able to call
himself the proud owner of his own Linux system, completely tailored after
his needs. He dictates the layout of bootscripts, the file system hierarchy,
which programs are installed in which directory, which versions of software
to use, and more. Perhaps the most important reason is to know exactly what
is installed where, why, and how.

---

I would change it into:

This book is intended for Linux users who want to setup their own
custom-built Linux system. Reasons for wanting to build such a system are
diverse. Perhaps you want to get into more detail as to what happens
behind the scenes. Perhaps you are fed up with distributions which are often
bloated or perhaps you don't want to rely on pre-compiled binaries due to
security concerns. There are many reasons why somebody may want a
custom-built system, but if you are one of them, this book is meant for you.

The fruits of building an own system are plentiful, but the labour may be
hard. It is a long way ahead but in the end a user will be able to call
himself the proud owner of his own Linux system, completely tailored after
his needs. You will dictate the layout of bootscripts, the file system
hierarchy, which programs are installed in which directory, which versions of
software to use, and more. Perhaps the most important reason is to know
exactly what is installed where, why, and how.

---

This may not sound great yet but it's better. So I'm not undoing all the
changes made, just a few of them. Don't worry about doing this yourselves
guys, it's not a high priority right now. I will make changes to a few places
that I am using for my interview tomorrow. The rest will follow gradually.
This will make the book look very ugly for a while but I don't have much of a
problem with it. Afterall, it's development. It will be fixed up for
lfs-3.0-pre2

Normally I'd discuss this, etc, but as said before I'm in kind of a rush. I
don't like doing it this way but I'm doing it anyway and I apologize if I
offend somebody by just doing this. I don't plan to make a habit out of it,
so don't worry ;)