[Keystone Slip #46] Change gcc-links

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 24 12:01:49 PST 2001

<snip>

> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
> "These additional options control where certain parts of the
> distribution are installed. Normally you should not need to use these
> options.
> --with-gxx-include-dir=dirname -- Specify the installation directory for
>         g++ header files. The default is /usr/local/include/g++."
>
> I am not sure if we need to specify this include-dir - they say it is
> not needed, but the default is wrong for us. then again I think it
> might be $prefix/include/g++.for default...

The problem is, or used to be (let's re-verify that), that if gcc finds that
/usr/include/g++ already exists, it will use /usr/include/g++-2 (and if that
exists /usr/include/g++-3 and so forth). Gcc doesn't know that
/usr/include/g++ doesn't exist yet on the LFS system, so this is our way of
telling gcc. This should be added to the command explanation section.

> "--enable-shared -- Build shared versions of the C++ runtime libraries if
>         supported. This is the default on most systems. Use
>         --disable-shared for static libraries. Note that up to the gcc
>         version 2.95.x series, static libraries were the default on all
>         systems."
>
> Looks like --enable-shared is not needed in Chapter 6.

Looks like it yes. Build it, see if it's true.

> I've noticed that it is possible to "make bootstrap-lean" on systems

something similar exists for glibc.

not sure if that should be added. If you don't have enough room to build gcc,
then you'll be in trouble with Glibc anyways (even with glibc's 'lean'
equivalent I think you still need more room that with gcc's bootstrap-lean).
But as you see I can't seem to remember that, I suppose we should test it to
make sure.

I'll comment on the rest later, going to be away for pretty much the entire
weekend. Then on monday my first day at new job. I don't suppose I should be
doing any personal emailing on my first day of the job so I'll see you guys
in a few days again.