Mention author of fixes?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 30 18:31:52 PST 2001

On March 30, 2001 08:31 am, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> +-Marc Heerdink-(marc_heerdink at softhome.net)-[29.03.01 22:09]:
> > > Perhaps not give people credits for changing it, but give people
> > > credits for suggesting improvements for the book?
> >
> > That would be a million-lines-long file.
>
> I don't think so - if something important is changed it is in the
> Changelog already. Add (email at addy.com) and voila...
> I was thinking of changes like "Hey - why don't you use "Make -C dir"
> instead of "cd dir && make"...

I agree that the list may get really long, but I think it's only fair. My
suggestion will be (against better judgement) so add the name and/or email
address of the person with the changelog entry.

The disadvantage is that the changelog is 'reset' every so often when it's
rotated (usually when a new major version is coming up. So that means the
current changelog will be reset when we start work on LFS-4.0).

Would that be fair? To be in that list for a while and then disappear just
like that. An acknowledgement section will be too long. I like to reserve
that for people who make/made donations that are substantial (like the
hardware I got, the lfs box + internet connection that it sits on), etc.

I think we owe it to the people to acknowledge them somewhere, by name, when
they suggest a change that makes it in the book. I would expect no less when
I make contributions to projects that I at least get recognized. Not just
because I want the fame or to satisfy my ego, but just because it's the right
thing to do.