Mention author of fixes?

Marc Heerdink marc_heerdink at softhome.net
Sat Mar 31 10:49:17 PST 2001

Gerard Beekmans wrote on Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:31:52 -0500:
> On March 30, 2001 08:31 am, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> > +-Marc Heerdink-(marc_heerdink at softhome.net)-[29.03.01 22:09]:
> > >
> > > That would be a million-lines-long file.
> >
> > I don't think so - if something important is changed it is in the
> > Changelog already. Add (email at addy.com) and voila...
> > I was thinking of changes like "Hey - why don't you use "Make -C dir"
> > instead of "cd dir && make"...
>
> I agree that the list may get really long, but I think it's only fair. My
> suggestion will be (against better judgement) so add the name and/or email
> address of the person with the changelog entry.

That means we have to update the changelog every time someone suggests something
that'll be used in the book.

> The disadvantage is that the changelog is 'reset' every so often when it's
> rotated (usually when a new major version is coming up. So that means the
> current changelog will be reset when we start work on LFS-4.0).

By the time we're preparing 4.0, the changelog will be 10000000000 lines long.
Nobody will read it, nobody will be happyly downloading such a big file.

> Would that be fair? To be in that list for a while and then disappear just
> like that. An acknowledgement section will be too long. I like to reserve
> that for people who make/made donations that are substantial (like the
> hardware I got, the lfs box + internet connection that it sits on), etc.
>
> I think we owe it to the people to acknowledge them somewhere, by name, when
> they suggest a change that makes it in the book. I would expect no less when
> I make contributions to projects that I at least get recognized. Not just
> because I want the fame or to satisfy my ego, but just because it's the right
> thing to do.

I don't think so. If a project like X gave everyone credit for a suggestion they
made, it wouldn't work. Same for Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, Glibc, GCC etc etc.
It's just plain normal that ppl give feedback on a project, no need to refer to
them.

IMHO the line "Countless other people from the various LFS mailing lists who are
making this book happen by making suggestions, testing, and submitting bug
reports." is enough to cover every major or minor suggestion from someone not
working directly on the book. The book maintainers, however, deserve to have
their name in the book.

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc_heerdink at softhome.net