[Keystone Slip #52] psmisc 20.1 released

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 31 18:40:18 PST 2001

> Just to get the correct order to update a package:
>
>         1. put it on packages.lfs in new-in-cvs
>            (we might need to get ftp-access then - is it possible to cvs
>            binary files?)
>         2. edit intel.xml: Change package-version
>         3. edit chapter3/package.xml: Change download-location
>         3. edit chapter5/7: change installation if needed

cvs can do binary files but let's not start that. CVS would grow too much
that way and it would be a waste.

Yes, the order you wrote is correct. Write access to FTP will hopefully come
soon. I have to get in touch with Bryan and ask what is happening with
linuxfromscratch.org. If it stays where it is right now I can move FTP to
linuxfromscratch.org, and grant access for you guys to upload files to FTP
archive. This means, for now, I'll be doing the updating of ftp archive. I'll
be a nice bottleneck, sorry for that.

Test new packages, if you aprove it, I'll trust your judgements and I'll
update the ftp archive after which you can update the book.

> Should we update the packages if we did a test-installation of the
> package to see if it works, or is it needed to do a full LFS build
> before updating?

A full LFS build may be desired sometimes. If you update binutils, gcc,
glibc, kernel and such core packages you want to build an entire LFS system
to make sure it's still working. In other cases use your own judgement. I
actually have the habit of building an entire LFS system to test new
packages. That's the only way to rule out not anticipated problems.

> PS: Isn't appendix A deprecated - the description is the same as in
> ch5/6?

Actually, if you look closer, what you read in chapters 5 and 6 are copies
from appendix :

<sect1 id="ch06-bash">
<title>Installing Bash</title>

&c6-bash-inst;
&aa-bash-desc;

</sect1>

&aa-bash-desc; means include the file intel/appendixa/bash-desc.xml

I'm still thinking about removing the package descriptions under every
package installation instructions and just give a link to "Click here for
package contents" along with the link to Appendix D "Known problems".

It would look cleaner, shorter, more to the point.