Slip 89

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Mon May 7 12:54:05 PDT 2001

Yo,

ahhh, it can be found online thou; http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

> I wasn't talking about tagging branches or whatever it's called. I was
> talking/thinking about tagging the xml files and mark them lfs-3.0-pre3,
> pre4, 3.0, 3.1, etc.

Oh.. totally different things, yes.

> I'm not anticipating forking the book so I don't see how that's relevant
> at the moment?

Me and Mark (GiMLi) had a long discussion about this on IRC the other
day, while he was (he denies it ;) complaining about having a 10 day
book freeze and wondering why we don't use branch'es.

What branches would allow us todo would be when we go to "freeze" the
box, we fork it off into a branch that way, only things that are going
to get into the final 3.0-pre3 release will be done there, while ppl can
still keep committing to the MAIN trunk and not worry about the freeze
at all, then once the release is done, you then merge all the changes
from the branch back into the MAIN trunk. (kinda how you move a portion
of code into a stable means while development keeps going)

K..not really sure if that makes sense, ATM, still trying to wake up..
LFS is fairly a small project (it is and it isn't) and problably doesn't
need to use branches, as there really is only one working copy of the
book (aka not a stable/development releases like it use too) and we
don't have 20+ ppl hacking at it ;)

uh.. read this if you want a better understanding,
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Branching_Basics

PS, Tags we should use for releases, just wanted to mention that..