LFS FTP archive

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 14 08:08:03 PDT 2001

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 12:02:33AM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > Some testing is in order thou..
>
> Do you happen to have some time on your hands to test this? I've setup
> a testdir on shadowfax. Rsync module is called 'test' (so rsync
> linuxfromscratch.org::test) and it contains testfile1 and testfile2.
>
> Can you rsync it and see what rsync does to the files. I have to get
> going now so if you could figure it out (since you don't sleep and I do
> ;) then I can make the ftp modif's after church and inform the mirrors
> about it.

ok just tested it myself. The files will be copied over and rsyn
doesn't seem to try to retain the permissions (perhaps it will if i run
as root). But the directory in which the files are stored will match the
dir. permissions on the remote server. The testdirectory on this
computer got mode 6775 as well. I haven't even looked at rsync's man
page or it's --help output, so there may be an option that won't try to
retain the permissions (then again, you want to retain at least some
permissions because you are supposed to make an exact copy, so i think
the best way to go would be for a mirror to run a command to remove the
setgid and setuid bits from all the directories. I'll figure something
out.