Fwd: gcc-configure on mdk-8

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 31 05:03:47 PDT 2001

Add this to bugzilla when it's up and running again.

----- Forwarded message from Gerhard Feiner <webmaster at linuxnotebook.de> -----

From: Gerhard Feiner <webmaster at linuxnotebook.de>
To: gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: gcc-configure on mdk-8
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:32:14 +0200

hi gerard,

(dev0 here) i just thought you might be interested in the following situation:

i'm in progress of building an LFS-3.0pre3 on mdk8.  i have latex/tetex
installed.  the version is 1.0.7-21mdk (rpm's)

with the texconfig from the mdk-tetex package the configure of gcc fails
giving me the following:

checking for texconfig ...true

and then stops.  no keys are accepted.  killing it via ctrl-c gives me the
following:

/usr/bin/texconfig: line 3:  3813 Broken pipe             $DIALOG_PROG
--title "$version setup utility" "$@"

i then figured out, that the texconfig is in the tetex-rpm and deinstalled
all the tetex/latex-stuff.  after that it worked fine.  so my suggestion is,
that gcc builds some kind of documentation (maybe) if it finds texconfig,
resp. tetex/latex.  if it doesn't find texconfig it runs through just fine
(and, of course, not building whatever it needed tetex/latex for)

so, maybe there is room for a gcc-patch, keeping it from building this piece
of stuff wheter tetex/latex is there or not.  (cuz i never had those before i
switched to mdk, and therefore never used/needed them.  and for building an
LFS they should be less important).  i suggest, because there might be ppl,
not wanting to kill all their tetex/latex stuff like me, to just disable the
texconfig-check in gcc's configure.

i even couldn't test, if this error occours with other versions of
tetex/latex, cuz i never used it, and therefore have no knowledge about it.

unfortunatley, i'm not that advanced to programming, so i am not able to
supply such a patch, but i think it shouldn't be a big problem for you guru's
to solve it (the one or the other way)

with best regards,
gerd aka 'dev0'

p.s. sorry for my crappy english.