To: Gerard

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 31 14:38:17 PDT 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 04:54:43PM -0400, Scot Mc Pherson wrote:
> I had though we were discussing the release docs, saying that you didn't
> have time to update the release docs once they were released...i.e. the
> 3pre3 errors. If that includes cvs, that's fine too

Right, I forgot about that already.

Let's rehash this for the other people on this list:

As you know, after a book has been released no more changes are being
made to that version of the book simply because we don't really have to
time to keep it up.

So Scot offered to make those kind of changes to the latest existing
release (in case there are more than one like right now there's 2.4.4
and 3.0-pre3). Not a complete maintenance plan, just the bad errors.
An example being the strip --strip-unneeded that's in chapter 10 of
3pre3 right now which has been fixed in CVS but many people could
potentially destroy their static libraries by using that command.

I think we can all agree that this isn't a bad thing to do. So there
will be things like 3pre3.1, 3pre3.2 until the next book is released.

Scot, before we actually start doing this, let's wait for the lfs server
to be fixed up first. Right now there's not much sense in starting
anything because there's not an easy to way to upload things and
distribute it among the mirror sites.

But, you may want to download the XML source of the LFS-3.0-pre3 book
and start looking around in the XML code and see if you can make sense
of the way we use entities (it's a very modular book - sometimes too
modular in terms or adding things. It's quite tedious - that will be
fixed up at some point. Some scripting may be in order).

Anyways, editing XML isn't hard. If you're familiar with HTML, then XML
should not be a problem at all.

The quick rundown of editing would be:
you edit and fix problems
tar up the xml source, email it to me or upload (email to this list
won't work - the tarball will probably be too large) somewhere.
I take it, convert it to html, txt, pdf and ps
i upload it, replacing the current version on the websites.

_perhaps_ using cvs is in order as a seperate branch. I don't know how
feasible that is, I'll let Jesse comment on that one.