static bzip2 & hardlinks problem

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon May 13 13:49:48 PDT 2002

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Christophe Devine wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> Here's a simple command which solves the problem of moving hardlinks
> on old distros:
>
> mv $LFS/usr/bin/{bzcat,bunzip2,bzip2,bzip2recover} $LFS/bin &&
> cp $LFS/usr/bin/{bzless,bzmore} $LFS/bin &&
> rm $LFS/usr/bin/{bzless,bzmore}
>
> I have tested this command on RH 6.0; it did fix the bug reported on lfs-dev.

Are you sure that's how you want to fix it? If you do an ls -li you
will see the i-node numbers on some of the target files are not the same
anymore if the /usr/bin and /bin directories are on different partitions,
a common setup.

They still work and all, but prior to the move some files pointed
to the same i-node and so if you changed the contents of the file
named in one directory, the side-effect was the other was "updated"
simultaneously. If the inodes are now different, that won't happen.

May not be an issue, but one should be aware.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org