spaces, names, and the plural of ID

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 26 15:28:46 PDT 2002

On Sun, 26, May, 2002 at 10:56:47PM +0200, Alex Groenewoud spoke thus..
> The patch-file puts in some missing spaces between numbers and MB,
> corrects the names off some packages in the official download sections,
> harmonizes the spelling of "Unix", repairs a few typos, and makes some
> minor textual improvements.
>
> About one thing I can't make my mind up: the plural of "ID".
> The book uses both IDs and ID's.  Man-pages and RFC's also use both,
> but there IDs outnumber ID's by about 5:1.
> In theory a plural "s" should be attached to the word, but I would
> prefer here an "'s", even when this normally indicates a possessive.
> What do the editors think?

My more academic side (yes, I do have one) says IDs because (AIUI) it's
grammatically correct. (unlike that sentence?).  I was going to say that
asthetically I preferred ID's but looking at it again, I think IDs
actually looks better as well.

Anyway, after that rambling, I vote for IDs.

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org