Shadow and Gawk

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 31 04:45:12 PDT 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:41:08AM +0100, Chris Lingard wrote:
> Two minor queries
>
> Shadow.  The instruction
> mv /lib/{libmisc.*a,libshadow.*a} /usr/lib &&
> moves libmisc.la
> KDE expects this in /lib

That bug is on our TODO list to tell shadow not to hard-code the path. At
the bottom of that libshadow.la file you'll see the line "libdir='/lib'
which should be changed to '/usr/lib' which will probably solve the KDE
problem (not tested, it's a hunch).

Anyways, it's Bug #322 feel free to test my hunch and report back.

> Is it necessary to move these libraries, and is the link

While it's not absolutely necessary, *.la files aren't dynamic libraries.
They are libtool helper scripts which belong in /usr/lib.

> /usr/lib/libshadow.so  ->  /lib/shadow.so needed

Not perse, but you may consider it nice as a finishing touch. Other people
are appalled by this and don't do it.

> Gawk
> Can the Chapter 5 configuration be
> ./configure --prefix=$LFS/static/usr --disable-nls &&
> This puts a static gawk in /usr/bin instead of /bin
> Otherwise a static gawk is left behind in /bin

The current (CVS) installation instructions for chapter5-gawk are:

	CPPFLAGS=-Dre_max_failures=re_max_failures2 \
	./configure --prefix=$LFS/static --disable-nls &&
	make LDFLAGS=-static &&
	make install

Which should work. There's no need to use /static/usr /static itself will
work fine.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org