Some more editting -- Preface & Chap 1

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri May 31 09:40:12 PDT 2002

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> Yo,
>
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 07:54:50AM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>
>>Some of your changes were adding two spaces after the end of a sentence.
>>I've seen other people do it (I guess it depends on what school you went
>>to, or what country you live in, I was never taught that where I grew up),
>>but let's stick to one space. The rest of the book is done that way, so
>>let's keep it that way (my privilege, I like it better).
>

> I doubt it matters in DocBook XML anyways.  Most of the time it ignores
> more then one space in my experience with markup languages.

Right.  The two spaces comrs from procedures that were developed when
the typewriter was inveneted in the 1890s.  Some people still want to
use a computer to emulate 1890 technology.  Computers can do
typesetting, but many people don't realize that.  BYW, I use two spaces
after periods -- habit. :)
   -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org