CVS book & resolv.conf

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Sep 1 06:25:04 PDT 2002

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Luke A. Guest wrote:

> Timothy Bauscher wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 04:56:32PM +0100, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> >> I have just installed LFS from CVS (with my own modifications) and I
> >> noticed that you don't provide information on /etc/resolv.conf. This
> >> should be included so that we can get access to the network straight
> >> away.
> >
> > I would like a blurb about this as well. The best place I
> > can think to implement this is in Configuring essential
> > software. I don't think it would fit well in chapter 7 or 8,
> > as resolv.conf has nothing to do with booting.
>
> Well, yeah, it should be in "Configuring essential software."
>
> For my system, I have two lines which describe my nameserver and that's it
> really. You can add another line to tell it where to search, but I have
> done much with except putting in my nameservers.
>
> nameserver <ip>
> nameserver <ip>

What will be done for those who have no intranet? If they connect only
through their ISP and have a dynamically assigned IP address, what do they
then do?

I would feel more comfortable that this would not become a can of worms if
the issue was solved with a reference to BLFS. And a *strong* advisory to
take a look at this section before going too far along.

> That works fine.
>
> If you would be setting up a DNS server using LFS, that'd be a tad more
> difficult (and should be left to BFS).
>
> Luke.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com