CVS book & resolv.conf

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Sep 1 09:26:39 PDT 2002

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Luke A. Guest wrote:
>
> > Timothy Bauscher wrote:

> > > I would like a blurb about this as well. The best place I
> > > can think to implement this is in Configuring essential
> > > software. I don't think it would fit well in chapter 7 or 8,
> > > as resolv.conf has nothing to do with booting.
> >
> > Well, yeah, it should be in "Configuring essential software."
> >
> > For my system, I have two lines which describe my nameserver and that's it
> > really. You can add another line to tell it where to search, but I have
> > done much with except putting in my nameservers.
> >
> > nameserver <ip>
> > nameserver <ip>
>
> What will be done for those who have no intranet? If they connect only
> through their ISP and have a dynamically assigned IP address, what do they
> then do?

 Umm, why wouldn't this work for them ?  The nameserver ip's are those
supplied by your isp. I had to add this to my test builds this weekend,
and I got the number's by cat'ing /etc/resolv.conf on the gateway box,
which is attached to a modem.

 A search line can make sense if you do have an intranet, but the average
builder probably doesn't need it. Just specifying some nameservers should
work for everybody, I think - whether they are your isp's nameservers or
machines on your network running DNS won't alter the format of the file.

> I would feel more comfortable that this would not become a can of worms if
> the issue was solved with a reference to BLFS. And a *strong* advisory to
> take a look at this section before going too far along.

> > That works fine.
> >
> > If you would be setting up a DNS server using LFS, that'd be a tad more
> > difficult (and should be left to BFS).
> >
> > Luke.
>
> Bill Maltby
> billm at wlmcs.com