CVS book & resolv.conf

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Sep 1 12:35:25 PDT 2002

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

> > > Well, yeah, it should be in "Configuring essential software."
> > >
> > > For my system, I have two lines which describe my nameserver and that's it
> > > really. You can add another line to tell it where to search, but I have
> > > done much with except putting in my nameservers.
> > >
> > > nameserver <ip>
> > > nameserver <ip>
> >
> > What will be done for those who have no intranet? If they connect only
> > through their ISP and have a dynamically assigned IP address, what do they
> > then do?
> >

>  Umm, why wouldn't this work for them ?  The nameserver ip's are those
> supplied by your isp. I had to add this to my test builds this weekend,
> and I got the number's by cat'ing /etc/resolv.conf on the gateway box,
> which is attached to a modem.

It would work for them, of course. Once they had connectivity. My concern
not clearly put, was that those who are most likely to bump into the prob-
lem (no intranet/gateway) will likely have to get dhcp working so that
they get to the ISP before they can take advantage of DNS facilities
there. So, if we put resolve.conf stuff in the book, it strikes me that we
probably should put a reference to BLFS or there will be a lot of "I did
what the resolve.conf syays, but I still can't get out".

OTOH, I have been known to miis the boat before, am I missing something
here too?

> A search line can make sense if you do have an intranet, but the average
> builder probably doesn't need it. Just specifying some nameservers should
> work for everybody, I think - whether they are your isp's nameservers or
> machines on your network running DNS won't alter the format of the file.
>
> > I would feel more comfortable that this would not become a can of worms if
> > the issue was solved with a reference to BLFS. And a *strong* advisory to
> > take a look at this section before going too far along.

> > > That works fine.
> > >
> > > If you would be setting up a DNS server using LFS, that'd be a tad more
> > > difficult (and should be left to BFS).
> > >
> > > Luke.
> >
> > Bill Maltby
> > billm at wlmcs.com