CVS book & resolv.conf

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Sep 1 16:26:04 PDT 2002

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Luke A. Guest wrote:

> >>  Umm, why wouldn't this work for them ?  The nameserver ip's are those
> >> supplied by your isp. [...]

> > It would work for them, of course. Once they had connectivity. My concern
> > not clearly put, was that those who are most likely to bump into the prob-
> > lem (no intranet/gateway) [...]

> > probably should put a reference to BLFS or there will be a lot of "I did
> > what the resolve.conf syays, but I still can't get out".
> >
> > OTOH, I have been known to miis the boat before, am I missing something
> > here too?
>
> Maybe the book could branch (I don't mean CVS branches) for specific
> settings. For example, in the book, when it gets to MAKEDEV, it could
> branch to a subsection, where the user can choose to use MAKEDEV or devfs);
> or when the book gets to booting, it could be split up into GRUB and LILO.
>
> The same could be done for networking, split between DHCP and static IP (for
> LAN's) and dialup (this might be too much? Dunno), that should cover it.

Seems like a reasonable solution, if there is minimal redundancy. So, the
parts that are covered in BLFS (dhcp setup, DNS setup and so on) could be
referenced for those who need it and the resolve.conf would apply to them
after they work out those issues. Those with a local server on their int-
ranet, or facilities somehow already provided, would just go right to the
resolve.conf setup.

> Luke.

Let's hope the editors find a reasonable way of doing something with this.
Ahh, hope they also see the need.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org