cvs commit: LFS/FAQ netiquette.xml faq.xml listofentries.ent

Seth W.Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Tue Jan 14 20:05:34 PST 2003

> > > Try "There are better ones toward the end."

Yes, that may be a sentence fragment at which my school teacher
would throw a fit. However, school teachers don't know everything.
Considerable good English in less formal situations is actually
bad English. Modern fiction provides examples of this.

This particular case is common usage and has the benefit of brevity
which is highly praised and sounds more energetic too.

Oh, and if one insists on restating the subject, one might as well
do it right, as in: "There are better items toward the end."

> > Better insults?
> >
> > The original was better usage.
>
> But still missing something..."There are better toward the end". Better what?
> Items? Insults? Apples? Now that I re-read the sentence again, slowly this
> time (like I said I quickly skimmed it. Seems I did it too quick. I didn't
> even notice the word 'insult' when I replied before) I'd think 'there' is a
> typo and should've been 'they'. That would make more sense. The first few
> items are an insult (meaning pretty bad items if you will) but they (the
> items) get better towards the end.

Yes, i notice my writing becoming increasingly difficult to read
quickly as time passes. But it is increasingly shorter too so maybe
that's a good thing.

> > BTW, English is my first language....
>
> Heh, that's a nice way of saying "I've been speaking English all my life so
> your measily 3 years don't compare to mine. I am a higher authority". ;)
>
> And you're probably right too. English just isn't my first language so I
> sometimes have a different view on things ;o)

And English is my first and only language and i was raised closely
by a college grad and a law school (that's post college) grad and
i have read and heard reading extensively.

And none of that means i'm correct.

If you can't support a point without mentioning credentials, you
can't support a point. Period.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org