cvs commit: LFS/BOOK/entities kernel.ent

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 14 21:17:28 PST 2003

On January 14, 2003 08:31 pm, timothy at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>   Log:
>   Converted kernel page to new format.

Looks good, one comment. One block of commands remain:

make menuconfig &&
make dep &&
make bzImage &&
make modules &&
make modules_install

Not sure if you stopped because I asked you to not do anything yet, or maybe
you just didn't think it necessary. Either way, that block will be split up
in separate commands, each explaining what it does. Very shortly, something:

Configure the kernel:
	make menuconfig
Verify all dependencies and create dependency information files:
	make dep
Compile the kernel image:
	make bzImage
Compile the drivers that have been configured as modules:
	make modules
And finish off installing these modules:
	make modules_install

Then we copy the kernel image, already explained. Also needs a line explaining
what the System.map copy is for.

Timothy, if you feel like it, go ahead and make these changes (maybe be a bit
more verbose with the command explanations. These were just examples,
although it'll work for now. At least we setup the structure that allows us
to easily add more explanations whenever somebody volunteers it on a
per-package basis).

Or wait. It's your call, chapter 8 is out of our way we'll be doing chapters 5
and 6 first anyways which is more than enough work to keep us busy for many
hours.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org