More information in the Appendix

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 16 13:54:29 PST 2003

On January 16, 2003 02:22 pm, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
> How about providing more information for each package in
> the appendix? Possible additions include:
>
> o Link to Freshmeat project page.
>
> o Link to package documentation, should the FM link not
>   lead one to such information.
>
> o Hints related to the package.
>
> o BLFS pages related to the package.
>
> o Alternative software (a larger list than the version
>   which might be found on the install pages).
>
> o Link to alternative software project page, documentation,
>   or whatnot.

I like all these ideas. Let's go for it.

> Also, why are the dependency lists in the Appendix? It
> seems to me that the appendix is for covering information
> outside the scope of the install pages, not for repeating
> such information.

The reason is easy access. If you want to check the info for package xyz you
don't need to scroll through chapters 5 and/or 6 to find where the package
is. The appendix is the logical place for this kind of meta-data. We
duplicate it in chapters 5 and 6 because it's more convenient to read,
espeically when reading non-html

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org