bootscripts

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 17 08:01:05 PST 2003

On January 16, 2003 02:08 pm, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
> How many times have you heard someone express "I've learned
> so much by writing/reading bootscripts?"
>
> Perhaps we're doing an injustice by treating the bootscripts
> as a package.

I've thought about that many times over when I made the change to a package.
I've decided that people who really want to learn aren't impeded by the
change. Bootscripts are simple scripts. They can still run 'vim' or their
other favorite editor/pager to look at the files in /etc/rc.d/init.d

I doubt the copy & paste of bootscripts teaches people anything. Or blindly
writing the scripts without thinking doesn't teach much either. IMO you can
still learn the same from looking at a pre-written script.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org