lfsml-6

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Fri Jan 17 10:31:51 PST 2003

Gerard,

I've finally sussed it, after trying about 5 different XML parsers, all of
which show the same behaviour (or don't support XInclude at all).

The only reason xmllint (and others) don't perform the XInclude instructions
without the DTD declaration present in the child document is because of the
&ddash; entity references.  I don't know why the processors can't "cache"
the DTD from the parent document and validate the child document against
that if it doesn't have a DTD declaration of it's own - it might be in the
spec but to be honest I don't have time to wade through it.  So, unless the
processor can validate the child document entirely separately from the
parent then it won't be included.

Hope this helps,

Matt.

"Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:200301151558.45458.gerard at linuxfromscratch.org...
> On January 15, 2003 03:53 pm, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> > <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
href="include.xml"