lfsml (Was: Re: lfsml-6)

Seth W.Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Mon Jan 20 14:59:16 PST 2003

> On January 18, 2003 05:19 pm, Seth W.Klein wrote:
> >
> > If i understand what appendix a contains, it should be generated
> > by the stylesheet (or the opposite). It's a separation of content
> > and presentation thing. The xml should say what the, for example,
> > package contents are and the stylesheet decides if they appear in
> > an appendix and/or the chroot chapter pages and/or the static
> > chapter pages.
>
> That's exactly what I want to see happen. [....]
>
> How would you make a stylesheet output to different files depending on what
it
> comes across?

Multiple files are no problem, but don't think about files.

First think about elements describing data. Think about what data
you need and what elements are best to store it with.

Then think about what of the data you want to process when and what
you want the processing to produce.

> We couldn't have the stylesheet output stuff sequentially because some things
> would go in a chapter, some in the appendix and the next chunk could go back
> in the chapter, and so on. Is there some way to tell "from here till there
> process it and output to file xyz.html"

There is no sequential--except when you want it. There is no one to
one mapping.

First there is the data: urls, sizes, versions, instructions,
descriptions. And the xml to contain it.

Then there is the output: chapters, appendixes, pages, paragraphs.
And the stylesheets that create it.

The only relationship between the two is the relationship that you
create. Usually you create a strong relationship, but not always.

There is simple TOC generation in the lfsml tarball. It gives a
little example.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org