cvs commit: LFS/bootscripts/lfs/init.d sendsignals

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Fri Jun 4 02:46:42 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> nathan at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>
>>    case "$1" in
>>        stop)
>>   +        echo "Disabling Hotplug Events..."
>>   +        > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
>>   +        evaluate_retval
>>   +
>

> Doing this on my system has no effect, /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug retains
> its previous value. It would be better to just shove /bin/true in there,
> or something like that.

The following command does not work:
 > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

And this works, because the kernel looks for the newline character:

echo >/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

Interesting enough, Debian also disables hotplug subsystem on shutdown.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .