cvs commit: LFS/BOOK/chapter06 chapter06.xml vim.xml

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Thu Jun 10 20:49:37 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Uhh, why was set background=dark removed?  That was placed there for a
> very specific purpose.

It matches the default on the Linux console. It doesn't match the
default in xterm. Also, vim has some code for guessing the background
color of the terminal. It assumes that TERM=linux is dark and everything
else is light.

So background=dark is wrong for xterm, background=light is wrong for
Linux console, no background at all is right for both. For details, see
vim62/src/option.c, between lines 2937 and 2956.

Probably you use an initrd and forgot to apply the "proclen" patch to
sysvinit. Without this patch, sysvinit clobbers the value of the TERM
variable.

I will not revert the change until you provide the following information:

1) what echo $TERM says on your Linux console
2) whether you use an initrd
3) whether you have applied the "proclen" patch
4) post your /etc/vimrc and ~/.vimrc files if they contain something
except options in the book and a command to set the background.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .