cvs commit: LFS/BOOK/chapter06 chapter06.xml vim.xml

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Jun 10 21:33:49 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov said:
> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>>
>> Uhh, why was set background=dark removed?  That was placed there for a
>> very specific purpose.
>>
> It matches the default on the Linux console. It doesn't match the
> default in xterm. Also, vim has some code for guessing the background
> color of the terminal. It assumes that TERM=linux is dark and everything
> else is light.

But, even with TERM=linux, the syntax hilight colors for comments are such
a deep blue as to be nearly unreadable.

> So background=dark is wrong for xterm, background=light is wrong for
> Linux console, no background at all is right for both. For details, see
> vim62/src/option.c, between lines 2937 and 2956.

No, background=dark is NOT wrong for xterm, *IF* that term is configured
with a dark background.

> Probably you use an initrd and forgot to apply the "proclen" patch to
> sysvinit. Without this patch, sysvinit clobbers the value of the TERM
> variable.

Nope, no initrd.

> I will not revert the change until you provide the following information:
>
> 1) what echo $TERM says on your Linux console
linux
> 2) whether you use an initrd
no
> 3) whether you have applied the "proclen" patch
no
> 4) post your /etc/vimrc and ~/.vimrc files if they contain something
> except options in the book and a command to set the background.
strictly by the book, with the exception of set background=dark.

As I said, without this, the hilight color used for comments is a very
dark blue (at least on my systems) and is nearly unreadable.  With this
setting, the comments are a light-blue, and are MUCH easier read.

And by the way, since you're new here, it's usually considered bad form to
arbitrarily undo another editor's changes to the book without at least
SOME discussion.  Especially when that change was pre-approved by the
project coordinator.

-J-