cvs commit: LFS/BOOK/chapter06 chapter06.xml vim.xml

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Thu Jun 10 23:33:31 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov said:
>>So background=dark is wrong for xterm, background=light is wrong for
>>Linux console, no background at all is right for both. For details, see
>>vim62/src/option.c, between lines 2937 and 2956.

That were in vim 6.2. For 6.3, the block starts at line 2984.

> No, background=dark is NOT wrong for xterm, *IF* that term is configured
> with a dark background.

I agree :) But the default for xterm is the light background

>>Probably you use an initrd and forgot to apply the "proclen" patch to
>>sysvinit. Without this patch, sysvinit clobbers the value of the TERM
>>variable.
>

> Nope, no initrd.
>

>>I will not revert the change until you provide the following information:
>>
>>1) what echo $TERM says on your Linux console
>
> linux

hm...

>>4) post your /etc/vimrc and ~/.vimrc files if they contain something
>>except options in the book and a command to set the background.
>
> strictly by the book, with the exception of set background=dark.
>
> As I said, without this, the hilight color used for comments is a very
> dark blue (at least on my systems) and is nearly unreadable.  With this
> setting, the comments are a light-blue, and are MUCH easier read.

The comments are light-blue on linux console and dark-blue in xterm here
without the background option

> And by the way, since you're new here, it's usually considered bad form to
> arbitrarily undo another editor's changes to the book without at least
> SOME discussion.  Especially when that change was pre-approved by the
> project coordinator.

The discussion was started on lfs-book after your commit of this option,
04/05/23 14:18:34. Tushar expressed his opinion: "Are you sure this is
needed?" Then there was some discussion of the setup on belgarth. Then
James Iwanek confirmed your viewpoint. Nico R mentioned that this may
depend on $TERM. The analysis of the vim source code reveals that it is
indeed the case. The last mail in that thread was by Tushar: "See, you
learn something new everyday:)". I interpreted that as a sign that the
change was bogus. Do you mean some other discussion?

Sorry anyway. I reread the source code once again and... I cannot
believe you. There must be some difference between our systems, that
still has to be found.

Could you please add after line 2984 in src/option.c (that reads
#if !((defined(MSDOS)... )
#error A. E. Patrakov is right

and try to recompile vim? On my computer, the debugging "#error"
statement popped up. I specifically state that this is also reproducible
on a virtual machine in VMware with no X installed.

Of course I can just revert the change of the background option, but I
think that it would be better to write something like:

if ($TERM == "linux") || ($TERM == "iterm")
   set background=dark
endif

(iterm is one more terminal with a dark default background).

What do you think about that change?

Of course, this change makes sense for me only if we agree upon the
background option being necesary at all.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .